Iranian authorities have arrested eight people on suspicion of involvement in the terrorist attack at the Shah Cheragh shrine in Shiraz. The Mizan agency, citing the prosecutor of the Fars province, reports that all the detainees are foreign citizens, Radio Ozodi says.
Chief prosecutor of Fars province Kazem Mousavi said that the man who opened fire at the mosque on August 13 was arrested and taken in for questioning. During the interrogation, he introduced himself as a citizen of Tajikistan, Mousavi added.
The Islamic State (ISIL) has claimed responsibility for a previous attack on the mosque in October last year that killed 15 people.
ISIL has previously reported other attacks in Iran, including two deadly bombings in 2017 that targeted Iran’s parliament and the grave of the founder of the Islamic Republic, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.
The authorities executed two men accused of the October 27, 2022 attack, Mohammed Romiz Rashidi and Naeem Hashem Ketali, this July. Three other defendants in the case were sentenced to 5, 15 and 25 years in prison on charges of belonging to ISIL.
Iranian human rights activists called the verdict of the Revolutionary Court of Iran unfounded, saying that the detainees incriminated themselves under torture.